Here’s a recipe from a local health food/grocery store that I frequency purchase my fresh produce and vegetarian cooking ingredients from called Down to Earth. What I love about this store is they also offer free vegetarian and vegan cooking classes, health awareness workshops to their shoppers and the community. Some free, some for a small fee. They have various locations throughout the State of Hawaii, so when visiting I would recommend paying them a visit.
This is a recipe provided online for a pineapple and red cabbage salad:
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 Tablespoons Oils of Aloha® Pele’s Fire Macadamia Oil
- ¼ teaspoon grated ginger
- 1 jalapeno pepper, deseeded and minced (optional)
- 1 Japanese cucumber, deseeded and diced
- 1 (16 oz.) jar of Maui Preserved brand Sweet & Spicy Pineapple, drained and chopped
- ½ head of red cabbage, shredded
- 1 large carrot, shredded
- ¼ cup coarsely chopped cilantro
The directions are super easy, mix all your dressing ingredients in one bowl, set aside. Chop/cut your salad ingredients and combine in a bowl. Then add your spicy dressing. If you are not big on spicy, use regular macadamia oil or reduce the amount/eliminate the jalapeno pepper – always taste test along the way.